English





Early July sees 8% more arrivals, 15% more nights, tourism minister says

ZAGREB, 9.7.2017.

Tourism Minister Gari Cappelli said on Saturday the number of guests in the first half of 2017 rose 22-23% compared to the same period last year and that in the first eight days of July, the number of arrivals went up by 8% and bed/nights by 15% on the year.

Speaking on Nova TV, Cappelli said the plan was for the annual increase in 2017 to be 10%, compared with the European average of 3%. He added that he expected EUR 800 million to be invested in the hotel industry this year.

"About 40 hotels will be opened by the end of the year, all four or five stars. This year we will have 3,000 new beds in comparison to last year," he said, adding that the plan was to build 350 to 400 hotels by the end of 2020, all high category.

The said the lack of workers in tourism would be solved in the short term with an agreement with a neighbouring country by August 1. In the long term, the plan is to solve the problem through competency centres, additional training and other activities as the new high category hotels will require highly trained staff, he said, adding that about 150,000 people work in tourism in Croatia now. (Hina/FaH)

  Print